Sunday, May 8, 2011

Flubber

Flubber is great! It has the "moldability" of play dough, but it is also stretchy, bouncy and cold. It is easy to make, lasts several weeks, and the children absolutely love it.

Here is the adapted Ooey Gooey recipe:

                         1. Mix 2 cups water and 1 ½ cups Elmers glue in a big bowl.
                         2. Add a squirt of liquid water color and then stir it up.

                         3. In a separate small bowl mix together: 2 cups water and 3 TBS Borax. (*Tip: the original recipe calls for 4 TBS...I've found that to be too much. The flubber comes out more stiff with too much borax. 3 TBS is better!)

                         4. After it’s completely dissolved, pour the Borax mixture SLOWLY and A LITTLE AT A TIME into the glue and water mixture. (NOTE: You will NOT need to use all this Borax Solution--I have found that you use about half...which means there is just enough left for a second batch)

                         Pour a little, mix it a little, pour a little, mix a little. Mix with your hands or a sturdy wooden spoon (*Tip: If you mix with your hands, it will at first feel like sticking your hands into a big bowl of mucus. Gross, I know...but I've found that mixing with your hands is better than using a spoon.) As you mix, it will become a flubber ball!


                        5. Store it in an airtight container or ziploc for a few weeks. Play with it, stretch it, roll it, bounce it...

There is no end to the fun. When the kids get tired of plain flubber, try adding items such as straws, scissors, or stones to make it more interesting...
Blow flubber bubbles with straws.


Explore flubber with scissors


Add bowls. 
Ellie showing me how the flubber sticks to the bowl.

Add river stones







Vinegar takes it out of clothes, carpet and fabric. Mayo will take it out of hair!

Happy  playing!

4 comments:

  1. I love flubber! It's amazing to me how no two recipes are alike. I'll have to try this one and see if I like it better then mine, which is only slightly different. Thank you for sharing on It's Playtime!

    Rachele @ Messy Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that in a million years of teaching I have yet to make flubber. Your pictures have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You won't regret that you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much fun! I want to play with it now! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comment! Happy playing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...